Saturday 3 January 2009

Snow news

It snowed today, Pixie by and large behaved herself and I painted just about everything in sight.



I know I've got a bit of an obsession about photographing trees, but vast snowy vistas just aren't that photogenic. Besides, there are a lot of very beautiful aincient birches here.



OK, here's a vista. That's a family walking across the snow on the ice on the lake.



These two trees are twenty feet from my deck. Sorry, our deck. Sara arrives on Tuesday and I must stop being so posessive. Our deck, our bathroom, our coffee machine, our washing up... The red building is a boat house.

It's rather peculiar - we don't call a kettle a water boiling machine, so why is there no English word for coffee machine? And, following a conversation with Marianne (who thought she was going bonkers and couldn't remember the English word) why is there no one word that means the opposite of steep? And a car house is a garage, a rabbit house is a hutch, a dog house is a kennel, but a boat house is a boat house? I could go on.

No comments: