Tuesday 23 December 2008

Walls and balls

Conny the carpenter arrived at some uneartly hour this morning and made a start on the stud walling in the space where the fourth wall of my new bedroom should be. At least I was up early enough to catch the sunrise.



It's worth pointing out that Conny is a big manly man, as evidenced by the man moustache. At one point he went down the road to get some insulation, leaving me to attach the plasterboard to the framework with his cordless drill and box of screws.





An actual bedroom with actual walls. And an ensuite.

Something that I didn't mention in yesterday's entry (I must have been too excited about the camera); Sara and her parents came on Sunday with a trailer load of "house stuff". We now have a dining table and three chairs (none of which are orange), more than one plate, cutlery, saucepans and a coffee machine. The coffee machine was an unexpected bonus, so unexpected in fact that I don't have any coffee or filters, otherwise I would have been able to do the civilised thing supply Conny with caffeine. I'll be set up properly by the time he comes to put the other two walls up.

Tomorrow, Christmas Eve, is the most important day of the Swedish Christmas. That is to say, it is the day that presents are opened. We are going to Niklas's parents' house and I understand they are excited to have an Englishman in attendance as they will be able to show me how a traditional Swedish Christmas is done. I am intrigued, and shall be armed with an English Christmas cake.

On a sillier note, I am more than partly responsible for the disco ball that is now hanging in the boardroom of Bombadil Publishing AB. Kudos to co-conspiritor Marianne.



Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: